Tuesday, June 11, 2013

New Day, New Blog, No Direction.

Georgia Aquarium. March 2013. Photo by Maysa Askar.

I don't know why I thought starting a new blog would be a good idea. Summer precipitates a lot of free time which then leads me to believe that I can do whatever the hell I want. I even have this whole list of unachievable goals/plans/aspirations I want to accomplish before I go back to Atlanta for my final year in college.

This blog was added to said list about 45 minutes & two coffees ago.

Anyways. My vision for this blog is currently blurry and disorientated.  I have little to no knowledge of where I want to take it. I'm hoping it will force me to get out more and maybe even take more pictures of my summer adventures.

Introduction is not my speciality (nor is adequate grammar. Bare with me.), so how about I leave you with a list of books I've been reading lately. I finally got around to renewing my library card and let me tell you, I've spent more time in that place than I do in a Whole Foods and trust me, that's a big statement. Ever since I discovered their juice bar, I've been practically living at the damn place. Have you tried their Rise n' Shine juice?? Jesus.

I digress.

Summer Reading List

> The Beautiful and Damned by F Scott Fitzgerald. 
  This story kiiiinda ruled. I'm a sucker for anything written by Fitzgerald. Apparently he wrote this book when he was 25 and I find that utterly inspiring. 

> Empress of Fashion: A Life of Diana Vreeland by Amanda Stewart.
  Okay, I'm only halfway through this book at the moment but so far I've gathered that Diana Vreeland was a total bad bitch back in her day. Her imagination was audacious and brave. Read it if you're in desperate need for motivation & of course, inspiration. 

> Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell.
  S'cute! If you're all about cute shit, read this. I loved it.

> What the CEO Wants You to Know: How Your Company Really Works by Ram Charan
  Aaaaah yes, the universal laws of business success. Both terrifying & glorious. I had to read this for my business class a while back for a research paper. The amount of highlighting & notes I made in this book is pretty ridiculous. It will fuck you up with some beautiful truths. If you like books that get straight to the point and make you feel like a motherfackin' chief, I highly suggest you peep this for insight. I still refer to it for pointers when working on stuff like business plans or future interviews. 

>Nice Girls Don't Get The Corner Office by Lois Frankel 
  More cool career shit. Read it if you feel the need to grow a new pair and so forth. 

>Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter
  Listen, I'm a girl and as much as I'd hate to admit it, I like cute shit. If I succeed in finding a romance novel that doesn't involve vampires, young billionaire men, weird sex stuff or a storyline that doesn't make me vomit due to an overabundance of complete mushy bullshit (looking at you, Nicholas Sparks), I'm going to preach about it. Beautiful Ruins was perfect and Walter has a way with words that will make you aggressively throw your book around the room every once in a while (good aggressive throwing, mind you). Check it. 


If you have any other great book suggestions, let a gurl know. I have more books on the list, but it's nearing 7am and I ran out of coffee. Also, I'm trying to catch up with Game Of Thrones because I'm so behind. I'm bored with pretending like I know what everyone is talking about when "Red Wedding" comes up in convo. Dumb.

Peace, ducklings. If you read through this whole blog post, I'm impressed. Go outside and buy yourself a donut. You deserve it, pal.

No comments:

Post a Comment